Blackjack is one of the most popular card games in the world for a reason. Playing blackjack online features a unique combination of skill and luck which is hard to resist. If you want to play blackjack online, but don’t know where to start, you’ve come to the right place.
In this article, we’ll explore the world of online live dealer blackjack.
What is Live Blackjack?
In short, live blackjack is the best online blackjack format. While most online casino blackjack games feature gameplay that is determined by a random number generator, live dealer blackjack is played against a real-life person. Using a combination of live streaming video and chat functions, live blackjack is the most interactive option for playing a blackjack online game.
How to Play Blackjack Online – The Basics
Once you know the basics of how to play blackjack online, keeping up with the game is very easy. Here are the basic steps:
- Every player makes their bet. This is the amount of money you would like to wager on your hand.
- The live dealer deals two cards to each player and to himself. One card is face up and the other card is face down. The face down card can only be viewed by you.
- The goal of the game is to create a hand that gets as close to 21 as possible, without going over. If the total sum of your hand goes above 21, it is called a bust.
- All cards are equal to their face value. All picture cards have a value of 10 and the ace can count as either 1 or 10, depending on which is more beneficial to your hand. For example, if your hand consists of a 2 of hearts and a jack of spades, the total value of your hand is 12.
- After the initial deal, players must decide if they want to stand, hit, fold, double or split. More on these terms later.
- The dealer must hit if his total is 16 or less and must stand if their total is between 17 and 21.
- Players win when they have 21 or less and the dealer busts, or if their hand has a higher sum than the dealer, but does not exceed 21. Players do not compete with each other, but rather only with the dealer.
Common Phrases Used in the Game
When you are playing blackjack online, there are several terms that you will need to know in order to understand the game.
When you hit, that means you are asking for another card. If your new card makes your total go higher than 21, you bust, which means that you lose the game. Choosing when and when not to hit is one of the most important and strategic parts of the game.
When you stand, you keep your hand as it is, without adding any other cards. Deciding when to stand can spell the difference between winning the hand and going bust. The risk of busting is one of the most fun elements of a blackjack online game.
After a player views their hand, they can choose to double down, which means to wager an additional bet equal to the original bet. After the player chooses to double, they can only draw one more card. Doubling down can only be played on the first two cards.
If the dealer’s face up card is an ace, the player can call insurance, which allows the player to place a side bet of up to half of their original bet. If the dealer has blackjack (a total of 21) then the side bet pays 2:1. If the dealer does not have blackjack, then the player loses the side bet. While playing insurance can be risky, the payoff can save a player from going bankrupt.
How is the Blackjack Online Game Different from a ‘Regular’ One?
Playing blackjack online is very similar to regular blackjack in many ways, but the gameplay can differ slightly, depending on the rules of the individual games.
- In a standard online blackjack game, the outcome of the hand is determined by a random number generator controlled by software. When you play live blackjack, an online blackjack live dealer manages the game, making the experience feel more like a traditional casino.
- Since the online blackjack hands are determined by a random number generator, card counting is impossible. While card counting is technically possible during an online live blackjack game, card counting is almost universally frowned upon and often against the rules.
- Playing online blackjack has far fewer distractions than a traditional casino. When you play blackjack at a casino, there are tons of noises and other distractions.
- Table limits are often lower at online casinos, which makes the game fit all budgets.
Overview of Card Counting and Whether You Should Use It
Card counting is a method of calculating the risk of a hand based on the cards which have already been dealt. Card counters often have a running tally in their head of which cards have been played. Card counting allows the player to determine if they have the advantage over the dealer.
It’s important to note that most professional card counters only gain about a 0.5% advantage over casinos. Since card counting is against the rules at almost every casino, the risk is not worth the reward.
Now that you know the basics of online blackjack, it’s time to go earn that blackjack bonus! Have fun and good luck!